Downtown San Diego appeals to a variety of people.
Between the 6 Downtown San Diego neighborhoods, there is a location that fits just about everyone. I often hear people at the windows of my office look at the options in amazement. One of the most common reactions are, of course, to the prices and the space that comes with those prices.
Before we go into the list of reasons to love Downtown San Diego, lets talk about a couple of common misconceptions. They may seem obvious, but I will throw them out there anyway.
“I can buy a lot more space outside of downtown for the same price.” People don’t live downtown for the space. They live downtown for the lifestyle. When I am not working, I usually am not in my condo. I am typically out enjoying all Downtown San Diego has to offer.
“Downtown is too crowded.” Have you ever taken a stroll around town during the day? It is nothing like living in Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York. San Diego still has both the small town feel and the convenience of the urban location!
Lets jump into the list!
30 Reasons To Love Downtown – in no particular order
- Convenience – Almost everything you need is located downtown.
- Drive Less – I do not like driving. In the last year, I have only put 4,100 miles on my car. That includes a few trips to Palm Springs.
- No Maintenance – There is a lot less to worry about living in a condo compared to a house.
- Morning Runs/Walks Along The Bay
- Beautiful Scenery – Downtown San Diego is a Beautiful Neighborhood
- Spontaneous Lifestyle – Half of the time we don’t know where we are going. We just walk.
- Little Italy Mercato Farmers’ Market – The Little Italy Mercato offers the perfect snapshot of life in Little Italy.
- Views – High Rise views are often amazing and you don’t need to own one to get it. There are several bars/lounges where you can soak in the views.
- Happy Hours – Enough said
- Amazing Events – such as the Best Coast Beer Fest, Oyster Fest, and Bacon and Barrels
- Walking for Coffee in the Morning – especially weekends
- Baseball Season – Walking to/from Petco Park and avoiding traffic to watch a game is unbeatable
- Comic Con – This whirlwind of an event basically stops downtown for almost 1 week. It is like being on vacation at home and the people watching is awesome.
- Concerts at Petco Park
- Bike Rides along the Bay
- Sense of Community – Seeing The Same People Walking Around
- Walking Down India in Little Italy – Feels like a scene from a movie
- Pappalecco’s Gelato
- Cultural Diversity – on any given day you can hear 15+ languages as you walk around downtown.
- Energy – Living in the city is always exciting and you feed off of the energy
- Public Parks – Like Pantoja Park, North and South Embarcadero Parks, and Park at the Park
- Quartyard – Outdoor Music Venue with Great Beer and Food
- Little Italy Art Walk – 17 blocks in Little Italy. 2016 will be the 32nd annual Art Walk
- Not Drinking and Driving – Walk for a night on the town, enjoy it, then walk home. Repeat.
- Water Taxi to Coronado/Point Loma
- Leash Free Dog Parks
- Waterfront Park – Great place to take the children/grandchildren
- Exciting Changes – New Development all around Downtown
- Gaslamp Events – Like Monster Bash, Saint Patty’s Day, and Mardi Gras
- Easy Train Commute – Enjoy a trip with a great view from Downtown San Diego as far as San Luis Obispo.